Skip to main content

Reply to "How Useful are Rankings"

PG,

Looks like you took some offense to the "no-brainer" comment. It was actually meant to be a compliment to your organization. Sorry you took it wrong. (Or maybe I wrote it wrong - LOL)

More importantly - I think Homerun04 is getting some great insight into his original question - from both parents (with college and pro players)- and the man who actually runs the entire organization.

Homerun04,

From my own perspective as someone who has no connection to PG at all (other than having fun going to their tournaments) - and after having followed the rankings closely for a long time - here is my two cents:

When it comes to identifying the top HS talent - you can rest assured that PG wont miss many. What I have seen is that by the time the kids graduate - the best in each state are identified with exceptional accuracy.

Every college coach I have ever spoken to (and there have been many) are aware of PG's rankings and take them seriously.

IMO - "Identification" is the key word - and I tend to put less importance on the number rankings. Just too many variables to consider after the first 5 rounds (approx) anyway to predict draft pick order.

The rankings do have significance. A good one can help you gain more exposure and a bad one can hurt you. You better be ready to play if you attend any PG showcase or tournament.

Fairness and honesty. If you knew the man who runs the organization - even a little bit - you would quickly understand that those two traits are the hallmark of PG - and (in addition to the staff skill and experience in talent i.d.) - why they are so successful. Without those two very important traits - they would be toast IMO.

You DO NOT have to attend a PG event to be recognized by PG. I have heard this from alot of parents over the years. I can remember in 2002 and 2003 when some HS parents in my son's school told me (and/or implied) that the only reason my eldest son made a State list was because we paid for it. That was a lie - but such is life. You ignore it and move on. If that is what they want to believe - there isnt much you can do to change it.