Skip to main content

Reply to "How Useful are Rankings"

How high is high?

I checked on how many VA players were in the top 1,000 2007's ranked on PGCrosschecker.com. Only 25, which if you think about it, is just about proportionate to VA's share of the US population. I would think anyone should be proud to be considered one of the top 25 players in their home state.

I would also think that all of those players could hope for Division I scholarships if that were their goal. I have personally seen VA's 24th player, # 977 overall, and can assure you that any college program would be happy to have him. Certainly there are more scholarships given out than there are players on these lists. And I know several players heading to pretty darned good programs and getting decent %'s who don't make the top 1,000 cut.

Finally, out of fairness to PG, I think any time anyone tells you you "bought" your son's ranking by paying for showcases, you should shut them up. It just ain't so. I know of several players who are ranked who have never been to a PG or WWBA or BCS event. I am sure it's easier to be noticed if you put yourself right under their noses, but it is evident that they are looking beyond their own events to find people.