Skip to main content

Reply to "How will you teach hitting?"

quote:
Originally posted by Linear:

A major mistake 95% of all coaches make is searching for batspeed improperly. They search for the fastest bat at the expense of quickness. And, they look good for a while. Whether that is the youth league for many or the high school level for some. They help a kid reach top batspeed numbers and in so doing make him a worse hitter.

Because, at the level where your athletic ability is higher than your opponents, any mechanics will do as long as the bat is fast.

But, at such time that your athletic ability is no better than everyone else's, IF your mechanics are poor, you're doomed. Retirment time.

I've heard numerous posters say "you don't mess with someone who's hitting". Well, you're enabling his failure IF you know something about his future and don't tell him and don't ask him to (make him) work on it. And, this is 95% of all amateur baseball.

Because, most coaches aren't in it for player development. They love trophies. Their egos are really what they are about. They can't take a chance on "helping" a kid (which may mean 2 steps back before taking 1 step forward) because that will hurt their chances in league or districts or whatever.

Linear,

I read this - and as always - test the intent of the message to the reality.

The reality I see here in this part of the country is exactly the opposite of what you describe.

95% of the coaches I have seen here at the high school/travel team and college level do a great job of developing players - and it is their main intent.

That is what confuses me so much about your posts - you can be so technically articulate about hitting - and then you drop off the cliff with nonsense about coaches you know nothing about - have never met - and have never watched.

Its like cooking a really good meal - and then pouring motor oil on it right before you serve it up.

Wink