Skip to main content

Reply to "How will you teach hitting?"

Linear, all I am saying is maybe being just a slight bit earlier on your load. I am not saying to get your foot down while the pitcher is holding the ball or anything. Listen if you are just getting your foot down when the ball is crossing the plate, then you have absolutely no lower stability to hit the ball with any power. Atleast getting into a hitting position a slight bit earlier - will give you a more stable lower half. I cannot see how anyone would disagree with this. Michael Young (Rangers) bought into this and became a hitting leader. Hank Blaylock did not and had a very subpar season. Again all I am talking about is a very slight adjustment.

Re: pitchers trying to mess up your timing. This is nothing new - the good ones do a good job in this area. This is why a batter has to have a CONSISTENT timing approach - no matter what the pitcher is doing. You cannot come up with a different timing mechanism for every pitcher. You have to have a consistent approach - no matter what the pitcher is doing.

Getting into a hitting position slightly earlier, etc. helps you slow the ball down and I believe helps you see the ball better.

Again we are not talking extremes in this case. Just a slight and more consistent approach to timing.