Skip to main content

Reply to "How Would You Handle This As A Coach"

Ja'Crispy posted:

The situation is there is a HS team that took a slaughter rule rule loss on the opening day of the season. Obviously a lot of errors were made. Pitchers got too much of the plate. Middle infield was horrible (strangely enough these were the same kids that pitched). The team was not prepared to play this game. After the game the all of team was lined up an a foul line in the OF and had to run sprints as the the other team watched. The coaches screamed the whole time various things about mistakes that were made . In this area we have had official practices since Feb 27 and open gyms for about another month before that. 

I am not worried about the running or the screaming as these are V players and won't get their feeling hurt.  Although, the screaming and running did come off as a bit of a clown show. My contention is that with a month plus to prepare a team to play, and make the lineups, the coaches have to take a huge chunk of the blame as well. Handling this as they did I think they are running a risk of mentally losing their team after the first game.

I think it would have better to have a get together at the next days practice and have a talk about hitting the reset button and work on correcting mistakes.

Thoughts?

Until you suit up for a real game you just never know. If the coach doesn't make some adjustments then you are in trouble. After 8 games 3 starters are now role players and 3 role players are now starters. Our batting has been moved all over. My son who caught every inning last year is now  the 2nd baseman. Our 3rd baseman is now our 1st baseman and our 3 batter from last year hits 9th. I would worry less about the running and screaming and more about lack of adjustments. No spot is safe and it shouldn't be.