Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Baseball Looking for JUCO Route"

cabbagedad posted:
tinaj posted:

My son is still looking. He is a SR class2017.He is 6'1 135lbs. We live in OKlahoma

He is a RHP. Throws in high 70's to low 80's. Throws 2seem,fast ball, mean curve ball,sinker. He also plays IF but loves pitching first.

Have been to many showcases this year and last.

Has looked at some college but only has 1 scholarship offer

Would appreciate any HELP

Welcome to the site...  

I agree with Screwball, more info would be helpful and it is certainly not too late for JC's or other D3, NAIA opportunities.  

In most areas, most JC's have a very local flavor and the coaching staff is familiar with the local talent.  Are there JC's in your immediate area?  Has your son had dialog with them?  Based on his weight, I assume he hasn't really physically matured yet.  Does he project to get much bigger or taller?  Has he played much travel ball?  Are there coaches who can advocate for him and/or steer him to a school that may be a good fit?  Same question applies to anyone who he has taken lessons with.  What are his career aspirations and how will that affect college options?  There is a saying that gets floated around here quite a bit... make the decision based on the next 40 years, not just the next four.

He is certainly not alone in dealing with a senior year scramble to find a good academic and baseball fit.  He will need to be great with time management, organization and commitment.  He will need to use resources.  Grades, continued skill development, strength training, school research and a targeted plan for getting in front of the right audience are all important.  He may need to have a good video in order to get a look from some that he may not otherwise be able to get in front of.  And maybe most important is that he doesn't forget to enjoy his senior year with school and baseball.

No I think he's doing growing tall. He has been lifting wts. and building up but he's just a skinny boy. 

No he goes to a very small school and the coaches don't help their students much. He has asked the coaches about getting help to play ball but this is year 2 and know one helps. We have emailed coaches both at Jr. college and University. He has got to showcase for a couple of them. But a lot we have not heard from. He plays summer ball and has played all his HS years. Been to many showcases that are around Oklahoma.

His career goal is to be a MLB player, but if that fails he wants to coach HS or college baseball.