Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Baseball Pre-season Parent Meetings"

As a freshman parent, I would want to know if you permit/forbid outside lessons and strength/agility/speed training. I also want you to be very specific about every topic you cover. Remember there are brand new parents each year that have no understanding at all about the program. I want to know the exact cost for my son this year (or a very close estimate), and what fundraising we are required to do. Tell me if there are mandatory time commitments for parents for fundraising or any other activities. Expectations about fan behavior (if you have specific expectations).  And please put the important stuff on a handout because us newbies will be excited and overwhelmed and never remember everything you tell us. 

As a general related comment, I want the coach to run an organized baseball program and the parent meeting sets the tone. So make sure your speech is well prepared (which you appear to be doing by seeking input here). Most coaches can't run an organized program if they don't designate some non-coaching duties (such as having a team coordinator/team parent to handle all the non-coaching administrative stuff). Maybe it's just me, but I think it speaks volumes about the potential success of a program when a HS coach is constantly begging for concession stand volunteers on social media.