Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Baseball Pre-season Parent Meetings"

2017LHPscrewball posted:
ironhorse posted:

So Johnny gets in trouble for a picture with one beer?

What about passed out drunk at a party?

What about drunk at a school function?

What about smoking one joint? 

What about holding a joint in a picture but not smoking it?

What about prescription pills?

What about cocaine?

What about sexual assault? (I mean, we're "remembering what high school kids are like", right?)

It may seem like a "real world" policy, but the real world has a slightly detailed penal code and judges and lawyers and due process and blah, blah, blah.

I have trouble convincing parents that they're kid hitting.118 with 20 K's shouldn't start at 1b. You think I 'm going to spend days and weeks creating a sliding scale policy of offenses that most adults have different views on anyway? And then when a kid gets in trouble try and explain the parents and the kids in the program why one offense is better or worse than another? No thanks.

If you're dumb enough to have pictures of yourself on social media doing illegal things that's on you.

Good point about avoiding the sliding scale, but some "pictures" are not what they always appear.  The whole red solo cup thing is a non-starter.  If my kid went to some party and kids were downing beers, I might assume my kid was drinking lemonade if he was holding the red cup.  If he is in a picture holding the "cup" with other kids holding beers, should he get suspended - should that be the same as showing up to school drunk?  As for smoking one joint, I hope you are not equating that as more egregious than passing out drunk.  By the way, where does smokeless tobacco fit into the scale?

True story - I was on a youth summer church trip (3 weeks out west).  I took 2-3 of those disposable Kodak cameras.  My dad got them developed when I got back.  I happened to take a picture of a friend who happened to be pretending to smoke a joint (remember those old photos - not real clear shots).  My dad confronted me asking me if we had all smoked weed on the trip.  I seriously did not know what to say.  My attempts to pass it off as a joke were not well received.  I sort of equate this to the solo cup post.  

Completely agree on the picture alone not being proof. We actually have a district contract the kids signs that says he won't be a parties where alcohol is served (kids' parties they mean). So if he has a red cup and the guy behind him is holding a Bud Light....

But your comments about weed v. drunk v. snuff prove my point. I'm guessing all adults have varying opinions on the severity of those offenses. As a HS coach I'm not trying to add my opinions to it at all, you can raise your kids on that front, but unfortunately there has to be a policy.