Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Baseball Pre-season Parent Meetings"

Now back to your original question, Ironhorse.   I will tell you what I don't want to hear.  Some parents on here report that their coach is one of these "My-way-or-the-highway" guys who acts arrogant with the parents at the meeting.   I'm adult.  I won't be talked down to.  That's a good way to shorten your career at a program.

At my workplace, I occasionally work on some articles that get widely circulated without regard to specific job title, experience, ect.  I was told that a good target is to write a a 4th grade level (software will actually give you feedback on what you write).  This is not meant to "talk down" to the more senior staff, but rather be inclusive such that everyone can appreciate the subject matter.  Out high school HC is one that is my-way-or-the-highway, but over several years I have figured out the he is really speaking to those die-hard parents (often new parents) which really just want to understand how their superstar is going to be highlighted within the program.  He did take meetings, if requested, but required the player participate in the meeting.  We had a few over the years and it was interesting to hear some of the more nuanced details that he and the player agreed on - some of this nuance didn't quite come through clearly from our son.  Regardless, in important matters there was solid dialogue.

If the HC didn't basically cut some of the new parents off at the knees, there is no telling what type of early feedback he might have to deal with.  Instead, we got to hear it muttered in the stands.  The HC didn't squash it, he just avoided it becoming his problem.  In hindsight, not a bad plan but he didn't come across as the warmest of people.