Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Baseball Pre-season Parent Meetings"

Iowamom23 posted:
ironhorse posted:

I like our kids getting outside instruction, no doubt. We have 2 rules pertaining to them in season:

1. No pitching lessons in-season. We have a pretty structured pen schedule to keep our kids sharp, and we know the most likely days they'll be throwing in games. If they throw 1 (sometimes 2 ) pens with us, and then possibly appear in a game, there simply isn't a (simple or easy or foolproof) way to safely throw with an instructor. It just increases the chance of injury. And let's be honest, a lot of teenagers suck at communicating, so knowing if or when they threw outside of us is difficult.

2. No missing practice time for private instruction.

We're like Cabbage in that if you're being taught something different we want to know about it. We don't give ultimatums at all, but we like to know the "why" behind what a kid is being taught. Up to the kid ultimately what he does. 

One other note on this — we have two coaches total running our varsity and JV teams. One of my favorite things about them is they know what they don't know. They know a lot about baseball, but neither is specifically a pitching coach. Son communicates what he is doing with outside coaching, and I think even during the season, if he were struggling, they'd be okay with him working with outside pitching coach to straighten it out.

Communication really is key, and everyone knowing his role. Including mom. 

That would also affect the outside instruction scenario.  My sons school has 5 coaches, including three D1 and one MiLB guy, all of which have 5+ years of successful coaching under their belt. That goes a long way in why I don't mind the outside coaching is a no-no during season edict.