Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Coach issues veiled ultimatum"

Some HS coaches in Tennessee try to make players play for them in the summer threatening to be cut or reduced playing time the following year if they do not abide.  While our HS coach does not do this he does have "non-mandatory" workouts all summer.   He is delusional about what travel and summer ball has evolved into being.  For the past 10 years for players that have college/pro projection summer ball is the ticket and HS coaches are well aware of this trend.  I compare it to AAU basketball in some aspects.

2018 told the HS coach the other day that he would be in Virginia for the summer and would not be attending the "non-mandatory" work-outs. The coach said " not any of them"?  and 2018 said I do not think I will be here , but if I am I will attend.  Coach then said " you have always been a selfish player"

Translation, the HS coach wants to be first in line, but knows in reality, he is a teacher coaching a sport at one of a thousand high schools and  is irrelevant .  Do not let HS coaches dictate your summer schedule, do what is best for your son.  The HS coach could leave, get fired, and most likely have a short memory by next spring.