Skip to main content

Reply to "HS coach won't play son"

Originally Posted by cabbagedad:

Hi Nick's Mom and welcome to the site.  A few questions to get some more perspective...  you said he has speed - what is his 60 time?  What is his home-to-first time?  What is his batted ball exit speed?  Does he have a PG rating?  Which top travel/club team is he currently signed up with?  Which varsity level top travel/club teams are calling asking him to play this coming summer?  The HS team he is on now, is it varsity or JV?  22 on the team - did they have cuts and if so, how many tried out?  What is top velocity of the hardest throwing pitcher on the team?  Setting aside his strengths for a moment, what weaknesses do you think he has that are keeping him from getting more playing time?  What does your son see as his best position?  When he squares balls up against live pitching, hitting to the opposite field, how far does the ball typically travel?  Same question pull side?  Does he hit lefty?  I look forward to your answers so I can try to provide proper guidance.

+1 to this.  Please give us facts.  Real recorded pitch velocity.  Exit velocities etc.  Further I am going to be honest here.  I really thought this was a veteran poster creating a new identity just to be funny.  As I read it I found myself getting a good laugh thinking it was clever and I wish I would have thought of it.  When I got to the ss part then I knew it was a bit.  Then I wasn't sure.  And now I think this may actually be real.  Still I don't want to be sucked in by a late april fools joke!  But at the risk of getting duped I will play along.  Mom, get some of these numbers verified.  Objective data can do a lot to figure out where you really stand.  Statistics at this level are just about meaningless.  Maybe coach was being nice and giving him his at bats against inferior pitchers?  Who knows.  But an exit velocity is what it is.  A 60 time is what it is etc.  I am guessing you may not know what these things are.  60 is a 60 yard dash.  Exit velocity is how fast the ball comes off wood or bbcor bat off the tee.  Find someone with a stalker and either from behind a screen gun the ball coming at you or sit behind the cage and.gun it going away from you.  Let us know.