Skip to main content

Reply to "HS coach won't play son"

RJM posted:
cabbagedad posted:

So, we've had the good/bad HS coach discussion many times here at HSBBW.  My questions are these...

1 -After reading all the posts from the OP, do we really think, in this instance, the bigger problem is the coach?

2 -In this instance, are we helping the OP and his kid any by reinforcing his belief that the issues lie with the coach?

It does matter if the player or the coach is the problem. The coach makes the lineup. The player has to adjust his attitude to be in the lineup. 

I look at this like crossing the street. I don’t step in front of cars because they’re supposed to stop. I don’t see the value of my dying words being, “I was right. He was wrong.”

I'm thinking that you meant, "It doesn't" matter.  You are correct!  It doesn't matter if the coach likes your kid or not.  He makes the line-up, and he is in control.  I've had this conversation with Ryno before.  It doesn't matter how the coach is, you have to figure out what that coach wants you to do.  You have to make him like you, respect your ability, or something to get his attention and get you in the line-up.  It's on you, not on him.  Same way with a teacher.  What do I need to do to get the grade that I want?  Same thing with a boss.

A person will most likely not mesh with every coach, teacher, or boss.  It is up to them to figure it out, or find a new team, class, or job.