Skip to main content

Reply to "HS coach won't play son"

Ryno, I don't think we disagree...

Can you imagine having a conversation with your son in which you acknowledge there really seems to be nothing else he can do, and then talk with him about the fact life isn't fair and that while his coach may be wrong, he's still the coach?  Yeah, almost all conversations are going to boil down to "you have to work harder and try to change your coach's mind."  But I think there are times when you have to say "No matter how hard you work, you may not change this coach's mind.  That's not fair.  But you have to do the best you can and think about what you *can* accomplish, not what you can't." 

I do think some folks here come awfully close to saying HS coaches all are good, honest folks trying to do what's right.  Most HS coaches surely are; I hope *almost* all of them are.  And I get that folks feel the need to defend coaches against parents' natural inclinations to defend their kids and attack their kids' coaches.  I'm just concerned that we not reflexively make kids think the problem is always that they aren't doing enough--that's no healthier than teaching them it's never their fault.