Skip to main content

Reply to "HS coach won't play son"

I would love to know how the PG Stats even came up unless someone was trying to tell a coach what they were.  I would agree if you were telling me your son's PG stats I would say I don't care what they were.  I care about what he does for me right now.  I know kids that have good summer stats but can't hit the slower pitching of HS so they don't get to play much.  I also know kids who have great summer stats playing lower level ball but can't hit fast pitching so they struggle.  Summer stats only matter in the summer and spring stats only matter in the spring and then all stats matter if they are equal and are validated by your ability to play the game.  I also don't care what your summer coach says.   Or if I'm your summer coach I normally don't care what your HS coach says.  When you are with me, it is my way.  I hope no dad or player would try to tell their HS coach about their summer stats but I'm sure it happens.

On wood bat, I think if you can hit with wood bat then it makes you a better hitter but if you struggle with it in practice then put it up.  I would only let a kid hit in HS games with a wood bat if he was dropping bombs regularly or batting over .500.  I would never let a player hit in a game with a wood bat unless he is the stud and there are few of those.   Why would you want to?  Is that what he is talking about or hitting in cage?  Cage, I'm ok with but in games, no way.