Skip to main content

Reply to "HS coach won't play son"

2020dad posted:

Ok, when did coaches grow so soft?  When are we going to wake up and take the testosterone crisis seriously and realize all this is part of the pussification of America.  Never ever ever in my coaching career did me or ANYONE I coached with bring up a kids dad when discussing who should play and where they should play.  Are you kidding me???!  You put the best 9 on the field.  If the coach is so soft he has to 'get even' with the dad by sabotaging a teenager...   not much of a man.  So if there is really a coach out there who has ever actually done this I would love to hear them admit it and defend it.  We may discover this to be mostly myth. 

Not sure if this applies but my son's youth travel coach definitely did.  In his first 2 years of coaching the travel team, he experienced first hand the disruption to the team that crazy parents (and grandparents) would cause.  It inevitably affects the on field performance.  After the first 2 years, he screens the parents as much as the kids.  He has turned away studs bec the parents are known to bring drama with them.  This is one reason we stayed with the coach (the reassurance that he is doing his best to avoid disruptive parents).

However, that is youth travel though and not HS ball.  I would think that off field disruptions and drama caused by parents can still affect on field performance in HS, but maybe not as much as youth travel where parents have more influence.