Skip to main content

Reply to "HS coach won't play son"

KTCOTB posted:

Valid points guys, I won’t disagree. I’d love to know how many kids are working out 4-5 times a week, practicing, staying after for extra grounders and sprints, and also getting home to do their homework and keeping up good grades. Feel free to chime in if your son is doing that. If so, that’s awesome and I applaud him sincerely. While I can’t attest to other kids, I know my son works hard. He was lifting in the offseason, and gets private lessons as well as travel ball clinics. We tried the after practice workouts last year. He did extra bp, and fly balls after practice. It didn’t translate to more playing time, but rather almost burned him out. I appreciate all of the comments guys, it’s hard for you all to get a good grasp of the situation from one point of view. I hope my tune changes as we get deeper into the season. 

Yes, my kid did this kind of extra “work”. Also, it was a 45-60+ min drive each way. He often did his homework in the car while we were driving him there. I will say tho that not many other freshman/JV/Varsity kids in the program did this. Son had that D1 goal. Not every HS baseball player has aspirations of playing past high school.