Skip to main content

Reply to "HS coach won't play son"

Season update from That Baseball Dad. I am really not bad but some of you think so. Any way my son had another great season of play. He was allowed to bat around cleanup and sometimes cleanup and play the first 3 innings every JV game. He was a leader in stats but not the top overall avg for the season. He batted very close to .500 avg, high .700 slg with the most RBIs and second most runs. He was called up to dress out with Varsity the remainder of the season. He started once and played 7 innings total. He had the chance several times to show off his arm in RF throwing people out at 2nd and throwing to 3rd to hold the runner. He made two diving/sliding plays. Batting he was almost perfect on being productive 100% QABs, all line drives to the gaps and was quickly gaining on the total number of hits the Senior had that played RF all season long. The starting RF also had no arm or accuracy. Others that my son had out preformed this year and previous years were called up to Varsity before him again, but at least this time by miracle he was going to get some sort of shot. These other kids that got called up, out of the 5 only one worked out as a true Varsity starter. The rest were sitting the bench after mid way of the season. We had 3 players quit Varsity this year, two I know were good and one I didn't know, but he was in the local news paper about being a player to watch, but he sat the bench and quit 7 games in. The other two who will play college ball if they choose to (I know they have offers) did not play as much as they wanted and seemed to be pulled out first instead of someone else who was younger and or not doing as well. Seemed weird.  Never before had I seen anybody quit baseball at this school that so many others try to move to and make this team.  At my son's end of the year meeting with the coaches, They told him he was a great hitter with good mechanics and a great eye at the plate. They mentioned that he must have great pitch recognition because they never saw him swing at a bad pitch. They also told him that he was a great right fielder and that they had 3 spots open for next year and they thought he could fill one of those roles every game next year. They also stated that they did not know he was that good of a player. All the things they said are great, but understand also how frustrating it is to hear that they didn't pay any attention to his prior performances even when he was MVP or his perfect game stats, LOL. I am his dad and many if not all would say I am bias, but he has been this good the whole time, he did not get his swing or eagle eye this year. He has always been rock solid in the outfield almost no errors ever. None this year or last year. The coaches might have turned the corner this year, but I still stand by all of my previous statements that they just don't know what they are doing and I know one does not like my son because that coach said so last year.Most agree If a coach wants to win and keep his job they will play the best, but lets be honest that's not always the case. So glad travel ball will be here soon.