Skip to main content

Reply to "HS coach won't play son"

On the opposite side of the coin, those of us who as parents and players are dedicated to baseball, it is our thing, do not understand the well-rounded.  Many people say they want to be get a D1 scholarship but they are not willing to invest everything to get it.  I have had parents tell me for years now that my kids didn't get the opportunity to be a kid since they are devoted to baseball.  My two youngest played all summer for four years during high school to get where they were/are.  They did not hang out with their friends or go to the beach unless there was a tournament there and then baseball came before everything else.  They do not hang out on the weekends because they are usually playing or working out.  I think it takes both in high school to make it work.  My 2019 made Beta Club and Honor Roll but baseball was still first for him.  I know some of you will disagree with that but his goal is to play pro ball or coach pro/college not be an engineer or doctor.  We had a (voluntary) practice last weekend getting ready for playoffs and several  chose not to be there and we could not understand that.  How could you not be at practice the day before playoffs start?  But that is what makes high school, high school.  Someone asked my son what he most looked forward to about going to college and his answer was playing with guys who are all in for baseball.  That is why many of us look so forward to summer ball.  Playing with players and families who are all in.  It takes all kinds in this world but you must understand if you are not "all in" that those families who are don't get you like you don't get them.  My wife and I will not have baseball this summer for the first time in 21 years since 2019 will only play June before starting college and others are long past it.  I reckon I will go watch my friend's kids play or maybe take a vacation that doesn't include baseball, not sure what that is.