Skip to main content

Reply to "HS coach won't play son"

c4dad posted:

Saw this on twitter last week, "If you have a problem with your kid's HS coach, check these boxes before complaining:

• Does my kid spend 10 hrs/week doing extra work?
  • Does my son pound the weights?
  • Does my son want this as bad as me?
  • Does my son compete in practice?"

I have a son who is similar to some of yours-- the dreaded "well-rounded."  We are fortunate to have a high school coach who supports him being involved in other things. However, there is an opportunity cost to everything--there are only so many hours in the day. While he is off doing other things, his teammates--school and summer--are putting in the grind. 

My advice is to enjoy what little time you have watching your kid play. 

For what it is worth...

There’s nothing to be dreaded about being well rounded. There are plenty of posters present and past on this board and parents who have never heard of this board with kids who excelled in multiple sports, were top students and became D1 athletes in the sport they chose to make the focus.

Sure, these kids had to make some choices along the way. Some sacrifices had to be made. But it’s part of life. Choices and sacrifices don’t stop when a person decides getting a second degree at night and on weekends while working during the day is beneficial to their career. Choices and sacrifices certainly don’t stop when you have kids. 

When college recruiting started I informed my kids the decision would be 70% academic and 30% athletic. I was not going to allow them to sacrifice academics. After it was all over I asked my kids some questions about the journey. Do you believe I steered you towards baseball/softball? When the answer was yes I asked if they had any regrets. I asked if they made sacrifices and would they do it again. 

They didn’t regret me steering them towards baseball/softball. They played other sports through high school. There were other options for college sports had they chose to focus and pursue them. They recognized they made sacrifices in the summer during high school and college. They said they would do it all over again. 

When each one graduated from college they came home and went to the beach for the summer to hangout and work part time jobs. My son said it best. “I’m going to hang out and drink a few beers. In my more lucid moments I’ll build a job search plan.” I figured my kids had earned this.