Skip to main content

Reply to "HS coach won't play son"

I will add to this that college coaches have egos.  RJM is correct in my experience.  Coaches who contact the high school coach are looking at character issues.  Even in football where there is no travel ball.  Our head coach got an e mail from my son's #1 choice and let him read it.  D1 football and not a single word asking coach about his abilities.  All about character, how he is as a teammate etc.  As I said they have egos and THEY will determine if the kid is able to play at their level.  We have one kid who barely played as a junior (personally I think that was a mistake) who is being recruited and may get a deal.   The college coaches are not afraid to disagree with the high school coaches about a kids ability to play at the next level.  Our coaches don't do much for kids recruitment.  And we have two already committed D1 and four more with D1's seriously following them and several more with D2's on them.  If colleges think you are good enough they won't much care what the high school coach did with you.  Now it doesnt help I grant you.  But if you are a junior with absolutely no communication from college coaches...   I don't want to be mean but that's a pretty strong indication it's over.  In football it's all about twitter.  I would say my son is followed by 70ish programs?   Probably half those followed him when he was a sophomore and the summer before junior year.  Now that junior year is coming to a close new coaches come in here and there.  Pretty much all the schools who are going to be interested have already expressed that interest.  Only way that changes now is if he goes to a camp in June and absolutely wows somebody.  Or is seen by a school a little farther away geographically who decides to take a shot.  But point is the recruiting process is ENDING, not beginning.   I see a lot of disappointed fathers and sons as the clock is winding down and there is seemingly nothing for them.  It's truly sad and hard to deal with.  This is why I don't want to rip on these parents on here.  It's a terrible time for them.  I wish you luck but I also hope you are able to handle the end if that's what this is.  One of the best tips looking back I have gotten here is 'if you have to ask if you're being recruited, you're not'.  They aren't out to hide it when they are really looking at you.   If you don't KNOW any schools are very excited about your son when he is a junior the gig is up.  Give your kid a hug and tell him it was a good run.  Even Willie Mays had to retire.  

Last edited by 2020dad