Skip to main content

Reply to "HS coach won't play son"

KTCOTB posted:

Here is an update at the conclusion of my son’s Freshman season. After telling my son he would not get a lot of playing time, the coach lived up to his word. My son was one of 6 players who did not see the field. The coach started his favorite 9/10 players, regardless of their performance. If they struggled, he moved them down in the lineup. No substitutes even in blowouts. When one of the six asked what he needed to do to get more playing time, the coach replied “ you need to get bigger and stronger”. Mind you, this kid is one if not the best glove on the team. Now this is not my kid I am talking about. Limited opportunities in the preseason games, and at most an at bat or a 1/2 inning in the field every week or so for those 6 kids. The team beat most of the bad teams, and lost to the good teams. They are not good hitters and have limited pitching. The coach even benched sophomores in favor of his favorite freshman. The sophomores realized in the first week of practice that the coach has favorites. Apparently it’s no secret that this guy is a bad coach. The kids didn’t learn anything except some baserunning, and didn’t get any better. Glad it’s over and now to look forward to summer ball where my son finally got to play and pitch. Threw a one hitter giving up one run in 4 innings before he was yanked because it was his first game pitching since last year. His batting average so far is around .650.

So the coach told your son he would not get a lot of playing time, and he didn't. A player asked a coach what he has to do to get better. The coach tells him exactly what he needs to do and the answer was wrong because he has a good glove? The coach then benches players who are not performing for other freshmen and he is wrong for doing that because they're his favorites? 

If you can't find "that parent" in the stands, it's probably you. All signs would point to him not being good enough to play on this team but everybody else is wrong because he is doing well on his 14u travel team. 

Do not confuse HS baseball with rec, it's not equal opportunity. The best play the rest sit. Should he get some work in during blowouts? Of course, but maybe he is worried that your kid hits a double and he'll never hear the end of it. The truth is that you texted the coach about playing time last year (big no no) and he didn't hold it against your kid during tryouts. Now that he's on the team you're complaining again. Something the coach did not want. 

Either your kid is not that good or the coach really regrets taking your son back and is just trying to get thru the season and so he can cut him during tryouts next year. Either way, if your kid was a stand out, he would be standing out.