Skip to main content

Reply to "HS coach won't play son"

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If your kid is playing Varsity BB as a Freshman, then he is either a massive talent, or you are at a small school playing mediocre BB. Good for you if you are the former(your son should be on the national radar), who cares if you're the latter? Enjoy the season, have some laughs. 

I only know of one Freshman who MIGHT have played Varsity here about 30 years ago. He was a first round draft pick. Keep in mind that we are a large public in the upper midwest who has a good, but not great program. We would get our asses kicked by the best teams from TX, CA, FLA, GA, etc..

Only one kid from my son's Freshman group played JV. 6'3" LHP/OF/1B. Can touch low 80's, with a nasty breaking pitch. Great hitter, good glove, and can run. 

Freshman are still growing, and aren't supposed to be able to compete with kids 4 years older than them. Physically, and mentally, they aren't in the same place. I

My son started to complain the other day that someone else got a start in the field instead of him. I told him he wasn't hitting, what did he expect? 

Maybe I'm off base. Do the top teams from the BB states(i.e. CA, GA) have lots of Freshman on their Varsity teams? Don't see how that's possible, if they have a healthy turnout from the higher classes for tryouts. It's normal around here to have 8-10 Seniors, 5-6 Juniors, 1-2 Sophomores on a Varsity team. Freshman don't play Varsity.

Last edited by 57special