Skip to main content

Reply to "HS coach won't play son"

Update from "That Dad" lol. My son did well over the summer at PBR and PG events. He did get some looks from D3 schools and he actually talked to the coaches and he did attend the camps that they invited him to. He batted .342 over the summer, and was one of the top 4. The team as a whole lost more games than they won and almost tied more games than they won. My son missed the last 2 tournaments due to an injury. He took the fall off to heal, do showcases and get his ACT and SAT done.

I did want to address some of the comments that I saw on here. I never meant to imply my son was a good baseball player based off of JV stats. I do believe if you went back you would see that my son did very well on the JV team compared to the other 4-5 JV players that moved up and down from varsity. His JV stats were better than the rest of the JV players and his Summer stats were better than the Varsity players stats as well and these were stats taken while he (14U) played up 2 years (16U) with these and against these Varsity players. He did see weaker comp at the JV level but so did the other guys that were called up before him. My son faced the same talent as the varsity players in the summer and lead the entire 16U team and it was a .500 team. Someone stated that it made no sense for me to think he could have been on varsity as a freshman on a similar HS team. A fellow travel dad made that comment to me that my son should play Varsity and that he would at his sons school. He knew my son was better player than the other freshman varsity players at that school. That school is now state champions and his son was a freshman varsity player. Our school seems to pick at least 2 freshman to be on varsity every year and one year they pick 4 or 5, which happens to be the year my son did so well and the others struggled to the point they were put back down to JV and still did not do well. I can't speak for other schools but this seems to be normal over here. Our HS had a great season and won 20 plus games with like 5 losses and 2 were in the playoffs, we should had done better but it is impossible to criticize the coaches if they are winning as much as we do. We could win more though with just a few more good decisions. Our roster was not that deep in talent unless they took my advice and moved up the 3 players I would suggest. But if I remember right the averages drop off the table after the 6th batter. Two of the bottom starters were even dangerous to have in the field. The other bench players had chances but could not earn a spot, then only then they brought my son up and he did amazing hitting and fielding for the 7 innings they let him play.

My son is now a Junior and the suspected Varsity team looks to be really strong but still might be missing 2 really good players the coaches might leave on JV. Why, I don't know that seems to be what they do? We should have 6-7 seniors and 6-7 Juniors with two sophomores that would most likely carry over from last year. Which would leave about 3ish positions open for another sophomore or freshmans.

Breaking News! My son has told me he no longer has interest in playing in college which has been a dream of his sense he first learned about college sports (maybe 5 or 6 years old). He plans to play his Junior year and see if the coaches give him a chance or if they will continue to over look him. He said he is really tired of the bad coaching at HS and is not sure how much longer he can stand poor instructions from coaches who don't seem to be able to demonstrate what they are looking for from their players. He said the last 3 years of HS baseball has been the worst experiences with any coaches he has every had, and he doesn't want to even think about having a coach who seems not to like/or care for him in college. He is currently getting private instructions on hitting, he has weight training everyday, he also has baseball specific conditioning and arm care 3 days a week. He is still working very hard so we will see what he chooses to do.