Skip to main content

Reply to "HS coach won't play son"

"Breaking News! My son has told me he no longer has interest in playing in college which has been a dream of his sense he first learned about college sports (maybe 5 or 6 years old). He plans to play his Junior year and see if the coaches give him a chance or if they will continue to over look him. He said he is really tired of the bad coaching at HS and is not sure how much longer he can stand poor instructions from coaches who don't seem to be able to demonstrate what they are looking for from their players. He said the last 3 years of HS baseball has been the worst experiences with any coaches he has every had, and he doesn't want to even think about having a coach who seems not to like/or care for him in college. He is currently getting private instructions on hitting, he has weight training everyday, he also has baseball specific conditioning and arm care 3 days a week. He is still working very hard so we will see what he chooses to do."

Not sure why you are spending the money on him when he has decided he is no longer interested in playing college baseball.  My son had a bad HS coach, and one of his teammates came to the same conclusion as your son and his parents stopped paying for private lessons and such.  The kid stuck it out and played a solid senior season but he finished his baseball career then and there.  Wise move by his parents who realized their kid was not going to be able to survive the demands of college baseball if he could not overcome a bad HS coach.  They accepted it and moved on.

On the other hand, my son was determined to prove his HS coach wrong and has done so by playing college baseball with a drive and determination that has set him up well for life beyond baseball and college. Learning to survive tough, negative or just bad coaches is part of growing up and positioning a kid for life in the "real world" where their job and financial well-being may depend on their ability to survive and overcome bad managers/bosses.