Skip to main content

Reply to "HS coach won't play son"

atlnon posted:
PitchingFan posted:

Please don't ever take this down.  You can't make this stuff up and some parent years from now will need to be pointed back to this.  If your son says they want to coach, make them read this and say this is what you might have to deal with.  So you scouted a JV team for playoffs?  Are you kidding me?  When your son is not even starting?  I am so lost in some of this I can't wrap my mind around it.

Earlier you said your son played on a team this summer that lost more than they won and then you say he played up in 16U and they went .500.  I am so confused by this that I almost need cliff notes to keep up.  I do know you are your son's worst enemy.  YOU have ruined him from playing college ball and he hates his HS coach because of YOU.  WOW.  I have not been the best parent and I have not always done a great job of agreeing with my sons' coaches but never this. 

This has to be a Top 10 Thread.

You all sure we're not being trolled???  Or is it possible that a dad can really be like this in real life?

I saw parental behavior and heard parental comments regarding making varsity and playing time that were just unbelievable. In two of the most significant situations I recollect I was very tempted to ask the parents, “How many freak’n opportunities and failures do you believe your kid deserves?” The parents were blind to their kid got their shot. In both cases the parents had trouble accepted that 14u stud and high school, big boy ball are two different things. 

It was amusing to hear how successful their kids were on piss poor 16u teams that never saw quality pitching. These were the teams in pool play I worked from the back of the staff as a travel coach. On some occasions, to save pitching I asked former pitcher, position players to just throw strikes until we out slugged them into a mercy. 

Last edited by RJM