Skip to main content

Reply to "HS coach won't play son"

atlnon posted:
PitchingFan posted:

Please don't ever take this down.  You can't make this stuff up and some parent years from now will need to be pointed back to this.  If your son says they want to coach, make them read this and say this is what you might have to deal with.  So you scouted a JV team for playoffs?  Are you kidding me?  When your son is not even starting?  I am so lost in some of this I can't wrap my mind around it.

Earlier you said your son played on a team this summer that lost more than they won and then you say he played up in 16U and they went .500.  I am so confused by this that I almost need cliff notes to keep up.  I do know you are your son's worst enemy.  YOU have ruined him from playing college ball and he hates his HS coach because of YOU.  WOW.  I have not been the best parent and I have not always done a great job of agreeing with my sons' coaches but never this. 

This has to be a Top 10 Thread.

You all sure we're not being trolled???  Or is it possible that a dad can really be like this in real life?

Possible but highly unlikely, IMO.  While there's plenty to make someone think that, there are certain elements of consistency throughout his many posts over 1 1/2 years since he first joined this thread way back on mid page 2, now nearing page 11.  Besides, yes I have actually had more than a couple of "this dad" almost "to a T" in my programs in real life over the years.  Yes, unfortunately, you can guess the fate of the sons with 100% accuracy.

To Anotherparent's point, I think we have all been there to a degree at times as parents.  But most of us are like the other 3 or 4 on this thread that Anotherparent referenced.  They came in, voiced their experiences and concerns, were given advice, listened to those who have been down the path, were talked down from the ledge where necessary, encouraged to look at things more rationally, took what they could from the conversations and moved on, most in a much better place than when they came in.  Not the case with this one.

Over the course of the thread, the dad has let out that the player has at various points had attitude issues, had a bad throwing motion, tried to tell the coaches that it was the pitchers' fault that he couldn't throw out runners as a catcher and threw them under the bus, lacks size and power, among many other things.  Yet, he continues to make excuses and defend the kid at every turn while putting all blame on the coach/es.  Meanwhile, dad is making it very clear to the player and others in and around the program that he doesn't approve of the coach/es.   This still going on after a year and a half of many here trying to talk him down from the ledge and convince him otherwise.  

Back to the playoff series - So, you came up with a game strategy that you knew was much different than that of the coaches.  You told your son, hoping "he would find it useful and share it with others" (Your exact words).  Who were you hoping he would tell?  If he did, how does that not get back to the coaches?  How does this possibly not end very badly?   What was your desired outcome, considering you are so successful at good outcomes in your profession?  Were you hoping for a mutiny, where all the players would say "yeah, his dad has a much better plan!  Let's quit on our coaches and try to get him to lead us to the promised land here in the playoffs!"  Seriously, WT$ !!!  

Last edited by cabbagedad