Skip to main content

Reply to "HS pitchers calling their own game"

My son had it good....his best friend since he started playing baseball at 6 years old was his starting catcher all 4 years of HS.  Funny thing is when they were younger, the catcher was also a pitcher...and he and my son were the two hardest throwing kids we had.  Guess who caught him thru 9th grade...yep my son.  Those two were on the same page so often it was almost scary.  I had coached them thru 8th grade....and by 6th grade, they were both basically calling the pitches for each other.  In HS, his catcher called the pitches...and I'm willing to bet that in his 3 years on varsity my son shook him off maybe 6 or 7 times.   Our "pitching coach"....and I say that with a chuckle....never even attempted to talk to or work with either of those two....so it worked out great.....lol   

That being said....I can't imagine any HC that would have a rookie PC do anything with a kid that's a Vandy commit at this point.....all he can do is screw things up lol  If it's me, I go ahead and let him call pitches....let the catcher give the signs....then have your son throw whatever he wants.