Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Player on the cover of Sports Illustrated"

http://www.baseballamerica.com...#CTwlxzhBE1ujEm2l.97

Over 15 years the avg MLB FB has increased 3.3mph.  That's the effect of velocity training and various improved training methods (speed, explosiveness).  Not a huge difference, but guys who were throwing 97-98 with gifted arms can hit 100 now with significantly more training.  

Outfielders are also throwing 100mph or more.  There's probably just as many (if not more) major and minor league OFers who can throw 100 from the OF  

But has anyone seen the difference up close and personal?  I remember what 80mph looked like the first time I saw it.  At twilight (we didn't have lights) I could barely see the ball.  95mph?  I couldn't see the ball at all, and I'd hear a loud whip as the ball cut through the air and when it hit the catchers mitt it sounded like a boxer hitting a heavy bag.  Now when I look at a guy who's throwing 95 I can see and track the ball clearly, it cuts through the air with just a little bit of a whiz and the sound it makes when hitting the catchers mitt is underwhelming.  Maybe the balls and gloves are different now.  

Last edited by hsbaseball101