Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Pop Times"

Some good points here. Since my son is a college catcher I will throw in my 2.0 cents worth. This is nothing more than my observation over the past 4-5 years. Yes, in a game situation the goal is to throw the runner out, but many scouts and college coaches see a player in a showcase setting where velocity and pop times rule.
Pop time is the elapsed time from the “pop” of the catcher’s mitt from a pitched ball, to the “pop” of the infielder’s glove (2nd or SS) on the throw down to second. Arm strength, footwork, receiving the ball, and ball transfer to the throwing hand all contribute to the lower pop times. Just as the elusive 90mph is the standard for the RHP, 2.0 is the benchmark for the catcher. Most pitchers are effective with sub 90 readings and most catchers are effective with over 2.0 pop times.
College coaches and scouts are interested in a number of things when evaluating a catcher. During my son’s pro workouts and college recruiting trips I asked coaches and scouts what they were looking for in a catcher. Most said arm strength, footwork, durable body, ease of receiving, (I guess this could be best described as eye-hand coordination). Blocking was not a main concern because this is one area that can be taught. Foot-speed is not used to measure a catcher. Pro teams might measure a catcher’s foot-speed but they indicated it would not be used in the evaluation.
In my opinion a high school catcher needs to be below 2.3 seconds. I think “great” HS catchers need to be in the 2.1 to 1.9 times and the elite catchers need to be below 1.9. These times are controlled times in a showcase situation and will normally be slightly higher in a game situation.
College coaches and scouts are not concerned with stats. I hear a lot of parents and fans talk about catchers having the ability to call games and catchers handling pitchers but the name of the game is “catch and throw”. Right or wrong, the pop time becomes the standard used to measure catchers.

Fungo

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.