Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Pop Times"

When I last posted on this thread my son was an 8th grader and now he is starting on our varsity at the catching posistion. He is a consistent 2.1 accurate. He is now getting some 2.0 times in practice and before games. Every coach times catchers of the opposing team before the game starts to gauge what they are up against. I have always told my guys that I want them to show it off before game starts and sometimes this will deter teams from even attempting to steal. So far this year we have played 21 games. Six attempts and four cs by my son. In conference believe it or not we have had only one player even attempt a stolen base and that was on a first and third and he threw him out. Sometimes just showing that you can throw someone out will deter you from having to throw anyone out. As far as game time pops his fastest time this year was in a game situation. Pitchers have to do their job for the catcher to do his. We work on this ie slide step mixing up our moves etc. An accurate consistent 2.0 is the benchmark. But that doesnt mean that an accurate consistent 2.1 or 2.2 can not get the job done. I would say that my sons footwork is good but not outstanding in my opinon. He needs to keep working on it. He has outstanding arm strength 82-84 mph. Most of the guys we have faced this year are 2.3 some have been 2.2. Very few of them have been consistently accurate. And just about everyone of them have been much slower in game situations.