Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Pop Times"

Well my son is a catcher, and he is interested in improving his throw down to second / pop times.

So just for the heck of it I started recording pop times on some of the college and MLB games I have been watching.

The best pop time so far in a game situation was 1.9 seconds, I have a DVR and run it back just to get a few times just to see if I am correct. Surprisingly most of the pop time in the MLB and college are around 2sec to 2.2seconds.

The best pop time of 1.9 seconds was a perfect pitch and a perfect thrown that got the guy out with a glove tag while the guy was sliding head first. I mean he was out by a mile/few feet.

Ok, my dilemma is you can work all you want to on arm strength, foot work but what I see as the most important thing in just the catchers responsibility when in comes to pop time is accuracy. You can have the best pop time but if you cannot throw down to second with accuracy you are doing nothing but fooling yourself when in comes to good pop time.

Am I missing something here when it comes to just Pop time to second? Is it really that important when I am timing the pros and college at around 2 seconds? With differant pitchs involed here?

Since there is such a range of grow/maturity in HS ball i have seen everything from 2.3 - 3.1 for a young freshemen who now should be throwing in the 2.7 range. at this age it depends on a lot of differnt things. Skills, size/maturity and disire to work on foot work and proper throw down posture to help save time to be more acuurate

Love always that #2 position,

drill