Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Pop Times"

Ok, we understand that if there are two guys that throw 1.8, the guy that is more accurate is going to be better at throwing out runners given all other variables the same. The point PG is getting at I believe is that to be considered a good throwing catcher or to have a CHANCE at throwing out runners, the pop time is very important.

I was a shortstop and when I was in high school I threw 90+ across the diamond, but I didn't have a whole lot of accuracy. However, because I threw so hard, scouts and colleges took notice and I was drafted and went to a major D-1 as a result of my arm. Who do you think would stand out at a showcase, given both shortstops have good hands and feet, a player who throws 80 accurately, or the person who is throwing 92 and is wild? I can tell you the kid who is throwing 92 will be noticed by EVERYONE.

PG is correct to say being able to get the ball where it is going in time is very important. Accuracy will most likely come; as wild as I was when I was younger, I was very accurate throwing hard in college. This is the same for catchers..if you throw a 1.8, you can work on your accuracy, but very few catchers can go from a 2.05 to a 1.8 in college.
Last edited by INshocker