Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Senior who should've stuck with baseball... any options?"

Great reply.

Assuming direction and work ethic, you have identified several issues which, rightly or wrongly, reduce the probability of playing college ball (i.e., $$$ available which leads directly to skills [which is the name of the game]).

Now, enjoying the game at whatever level your skills take you, then absolutely have at it. I have guys in a 75+ softball league in my neighborhood! 

The nub comes to this: guys with $$$, who have been playing the game forever, who have been getting lessons forever, who went to all the "right" showcases/camps, who are really good, etc. - thats who you are competing against.  And  those guys are working hours everyday. 

(None of what I am saying precludes you from getting on a roster after matriculation; most lower end D1s and most D3s have roster room for another body. BUT, there will be no playing time, only mandatory practices, workouts, games, for which you must participate. All the grind and no reward. Only you know if that describes your inner self.)

Now, if you've been successfully playing another complimentary sport, you could build on that. But it still (and always) comes back to money. (Because we assumed away effort, time dedicated, and desire.)

Imagine running a mile race and starting 3/4 mile behind everyone; yes, there are some narrow circumstances you could win, but not against other athletes.

You've provided your own answer: if you want to do any type of baseball in college, go do what is needed to build your skills - even if it's intramurals. If you love baseball, all will be good. (Personally I only "played" ball in the street growing up and it didn't stop me from attaching to the game.)

PS You really dont seem to understand the time commitment of HS guys TRYING to play in college. A "couple of hours" per day now is considered a day off.

Last edited by Goosegg