Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Senior who should've stuck with baseball... any options?"

cashmoneyAP posted:

Thanks for the input. FWIW here are my results:

Binghamton EA (Admitted)
FSU PRI (Conditional admit, then canceled)
Alabama (Admitted with $26k a year, recalculated my GPA as a 3.65 W)
U of SC (Admitted with $21k a year, rejected from HC, in at capstone)
Tulane EA (Deferred, Waitlisted)

WUSTL RD (Rejected)
Lehigh RD (Rejected)
Kenyon RD (Rejected)
Claremont McKenna RD (Rejected)
Colgate RD (Rejected)
Wesleyan RD (Rejected, legacy)
Grinnell RD (Waitlisted, will pursue)
Brandeis RD (Waitlisted, grandfather and aunt attended, aunt has friends on the admissions board)

I’m driving down to USC today to tour as it is the exact same price as Binghamton, except it’s not in Vestal, NY. I am not sure how much you all know about admissions, but I figured I would put them for clarity. I did get a 2.1 GPA first semester, which hurt me (Grinnell, Colgate, Brandeis and Lehigh asked for those grades). I may appeal at Lehigh and Colgate, provided I can show evidence that the additional grades I have now could affect my application positively.

I feel as if I don’t try to entertain this I would always end up wondering “what could’ve been.” Having wasted potential is an excruciating situation to be in, and I am hoping that I can one day have an opportunity to play the game that I love again at any level. And maybe I’ll do my homework before pitching this time around.

I would say the fact that you were accepted to large public universities and rejected from all small private schools is indicative of maybe that is where you belong. Especially if it is not working out with legacies and connections.

That being said. There is nothing wrong with any of the schools you were accepted to. No, they're not as "prestigious" as some of the other schools, but you can still graduate and end up with a perfectly fine career. Plus, they're giving you a sizable amount of money to attend. I know schools like Alabama aren't very strong schools on paper and knowing you're from NY probably considered weak, but if you take control of your studies, internships and networking you will be completely fine. The northeast has extremely high (and unrealistic) standards of what is considered a good college. As long as you take care of your end you will be fine wherever you go, including JUCO. 

Grinnel has less than 1800 students. That is a medium sized high school. Some of the schools you were accepted to hover around 40k. You have to decide what you want. If you go to a big sec school, you'll probably never want to come home once you get there. Football, frats, school spirit. It's going to be hard to find a better college experience anywhere else (I went to one)

FWIW - at this point I'd be choosing the school I'd be happiest at that will leave me with the least amount of debt. I think this is the most important part of drive home.