Skip to main content

Reply to "HS strength class"

I am no longer on PT rehab. Today is my last day of 8th grade.

just wanted to say congrats and keep grinding.  "8th grade graduation" may seem like a small step, but it's a step, nonetheless.  you'll get a lot of advice saying that "the real journey starts now" and such, but don't forget to look back and be proud of what you've achieved so far.  also don't forget to carve out some time to enjoy your summer.

as to training, make sure you're doing age specific work and/or you have a trainer who is familiar with kids your physical age.  I'm not one of those people who harp on lifting stunting your growth or other old school advice but i do think (based on anecdotal evidence from myself and friends growing up as well as my son and his friends who are a couple of years ahead of you) that until you have hit and are past (mostly)puberty, heavy lifting is an exercise in futility.  don't get caught up in keeping up with the next guy.  He may have had hair on his chest in 7th grade and that's the main reason why he's able to deadlift 4 plates as a freshman. the main thing, imo, is for you to prep yourself, mind and body, to take advantage of that testosterone dump your body is going to have soon.  that means get as reasonably strong as you can now without wasting time or over stressing yourself and it mean getting yourself used to working out as a part of your normal routine. 

again, congrats on your achievements so far and we're looking forward to following your journey to come.