Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Tryout Sabotage"

quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
Joe - I never had any conversation with my son about the details of practice. I am sure I asked him generally now and then how things were going but I never got into it like this. Let your son handle these things on his own. He'll figure it out and so will the coaches.

This is by no means critical of anyone's opinion about "Dads involvement" because to each their own, and at the same time I definitely understand where CD is coming from.

With that said.

My kid would come home from practice and I would ask how practice went. For one thing I had coached all the kids through LL and knew them well. The other I was interested in my sons life and whether he brought it up, or I did, that interest was part of our friendship and parental relationship. He would also ask me how my day was and that would evolve into a different types of conversation. If neither one of us had nothing to say...nothing was said. For those that say "Dads shouldn't be involved", I'm confessing, I was. Because we showed interest in each others life, and were able to share experiences, ask opinions, and give insight. IMHO, it cemented our bond that no one will ever judge. My point is that just because Jr has taken the next step into HS, there is nothing wrong with "prodding". The only dumb question is the one not asked. If he has nothing to say, he wont. Don't ever assume he has nothing to say because because it could be taken as you're not interested, or he's now on his own. I think this thought goes across the board in regard to topics and this is only a baseball POV.
Last edited by rz1