Skip to main content

Reply to "HS tryouts - thoughts?"

As a former HS coach, one of the most difficult things to deal with was how to handle tryouts when there were kids playing other sports and unable to join until sometimes 3, 4, 5 weeks after the start of practices and sometimes right around or even a bit after season games start.

Adding to the challenge for our school anyway, was having finite limitations with roster numbers based on things like how many would fit in "x" number of travel vans and how many uni's were available.

For a few years, I held a formal tryout/assessment date where I would assemble a panel of coaches and other baseball people I trusted and we scored players on hitting, running, throwing, fielding, athleticism, etc.  But with multi-sport players coming on at various later points, we eventually scrapped that.  We staged cuts in a few phases, trying to balance giving a fair shot with not keeping a kid hanging on for weeks and then cut.  We usually had a decent idea of which kids would be coming out from other sports which helped.

In the end, it's not really that difficult to quickly assess a player's skill set and attitude.  What is difficult is to provide the perception of fairness when every parent rightfully sees the very best in their own kids.

Last edited by cabbagedad