Skip to main content

Reply to "HS tryouts - thoughts?"

@DaddyBaller posted:

Reading about the tryout / evaluation process in other places only makes me sad and frustrated with my kid's school.

Largest classification in state. I believe 3,100 students. Baseball hot bed. Just 2 baseball teams JV and Varsity. Here it seems your highschool baseball future is decided at a 2 day tryout in the fall.

Run a 60, throw a pull down into a net, take 5 balls either infield or outfield, 8 swings off a machine, and throw a bullpen if you are a pitcher.

Around 80 tryout in fall and about 40 make it..Those players practice and play a short fall season.

Spring tryouts appear to be just for show. Returning players attend but don't have to do much if anything. They don't bother to see who's improved or been coasting. There is no off season team workout program.

After this week's 2 day "tryout" all returning players made it... They added one varsity PO that was new to the school.

Just sad because I 've seen a lot of good players we grew up playing with get discouraged and have either quit or transferred. And it's hard to argue with them.

This is pretty typical of top hs programs.  They know who is good before they show up.  There may be a surprise or two, but not much.  We saw several guys who got cut freshman year, transfer to a private school, and start on varsity that year.  We have a junior who just made varsity this year (did not as a freshman or sophomore) and is committed to a school that made it to the CWS last year.  We have another kid who got maybe 3 innings last year that is currently at a team that made it to the CWS.  It is competitive.  If you aren't performing right now, your potential doesn't get you far.  Especially since a lot of coaches in hs that don't really know how to coach the potential into performance.