Skip to main content

Reply to "HS tryouts - thoughts?"

To those kids that don't make it.

If you want to play HS ball and don't make it as a freshman (whether your school has freshman team or doesn't),,,

DON'T QUIT.

Keep working, work harder, play legion or travel instead for that year,  go see the HS coach, get feedback, go work on those things he said you need work on.  Get stronger, Come back and show him what you did.  There is always a team in summer that the HS coach is loosely associated with, try and catch on there.  But do it for yourself, first, if you love the game, that shouldn't be a hard decision.

I was a late bloomer and didn't make my high school team until senior year.  I played DIII and then D1 college.  My son didn't make it Freshman year, worked out, made it his sophomore year (covid year), he now plays DIII ball.

Youngest probably won't make it his freshman year, small kid, but he won't quit because he knows he will get bigger, that he's good and he enjoys it.  Your baseball playing career is not won or lost by making the High School team your first or second year.

Remember as long as you want to play, there is somewhere to play, so play for the game.  In my day after 15, you had high school and legion, that's all, and legion was harder to make than hs.    when you hit 18 you could find a men's league if you weren't playing college ball.  I still play hardball.

Also, so much of making the team as a Freshman is based on reputation or word of mouth, a lot of those kids move on or wash out after that year, there is room eventually for a dedicated hard working kid who can play.

Last edited by HSDad22