Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Umpiring"

Matt13 posted:
WashBarn posted:

We're seeing so many low and/or outside pitches off the plate this season it's crazy.  How should players prepare to hit balls at their knees 9 inches off the plate?  Understanding that with 2 strikes you need to be in big time protect mode -but  being down 0-2 on 2 badly called strikes is a tough place to be.  

To be honest, I'm not sure I generally put much stock in an assessment such as this.

I know there are horrible umpires. I also know that very few people can see the zone inside and outside with any measure of accuracy. I know I've been accused of ringing batters up on pitches "a foot off the plate" when I can tell you with 100% confidence that they were on the black, at worst.

Keep in mind that on a properly-lined field, 9" is 3" into the other box. Most fields I see at the HS level put the lines too close to the plate, which means we're looking at maybe 6" into the box. Please forgive my incredulity.

I have seen this too.  When they are too close anything between the lines is in fact a strike.   Actually makes it easier to see.