Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Umpiring"

If you think you can do better, you can always try - I betcha that's "a" reason some guys get started umpiring. If you don't want to take the punishment, then stop complaining. It's not an enjoyable experience getting hit with a FB that the catcher doesn't move to catch or a foul that either gets you on the arm or off the plate and up into your nether regions. Consistency is something you strive for as an umpire, but when the pitcher gets lucky to find the zone 1 out of 6 pitches thrown or the catcher is "all over the place" - it makes it much harder to be consistent. Late in the game the other day I heard a dad yell "c'mon blue you haven't called that one all day" - to which I thought - damn, that's the first pitcher all day to have thrown a beautiful 11-4 curveball!  My favorite though is when some leather-lung complains about the zone when their child has already swung at multiple pitches at "eye level". If your child has been "taught" to look for a ball in a specific zone (e.g. about where one would place a ball on "T"), then good luck finding that pitch. Pitchers are taught to not pitch there for obvious reasons...  A good hitter can hit the ball pitched at any speed anywhere in or near the strike zone to any field.  As they say - that's what separates the men from the boys.  Always remember to watch the zone for both teams you cannot be both happy and mad that the pitch that's the proverbial 9" off the plate is being called a strike.