Skip to main content

Reply to "HS Varsity Jackets"

We have been involved in four high schools so I have seen it all.  What some are calling badges may be the stripes on the sleeves that some use to dictate how many years you made varsity almost like military.  Others use the pins for each year.  My youngest son made varsity as a freshman in three sports so we bought the jacket and began putting stuff on it.  He made all conference, district and state as a freshman so we put that on there.  Added academic honors and chorus.  Then the next year he did so as well but you have to buy new patches to have the new info added and have it re-sewn.  Then we moved schools,  made new stuff and got a new letter but we have decided he will just keep the old jacket.  He made basketball all region here this year along with all region, all district, and all state.  He now has all this stuff he could put on a jacket or jackets.  He wore his old one here his junior year and no one cared because they knew his story.  Trying to figure out what to do in the long run but he never put it on this year as he only goes to school half a day.  It can get very complicated and expensive when you start adding awards.  Good luck.  Ask around at your school and look around at what the guys do.  I will say that I have learned what girls do on theirs and guys do on theirs is not the same at the same school.  Some sports are different.  I know one school that has a special jacket for football, basketball, and baseball.  I can't imagine how expensive that would be for a three sport athlete.  Football started it by winning state and someone bought them rings and a jacket.  Just one more of those added high school costs that no one expects.