Skip to main content

Reply to "Htting EVERYWHERE but Game"

This is such an awesome idea, thank you! It makes sense, my club ball coach trained us to always "take" the first pitch and I think it's something I do out of habit without even realizing it.

And you're exactly right, I always wind up with a full count and then either strike out looking or swing at a bad pitch near the end.

I am going to try swinging more aggressively on the first pitch to see what happens.

I would like to add to this great advice, as long as your coach doesn't get on your case for not taking the first pitch or making an example out of you.  With no strikes you should only swing if that is "your pitch", you are looking for location and type of pitch, something you can barrel and drive.  If it's a strike but not what you are looking for then take.  I've seen players be aggressive and swing at a strike that is marginal (but still a strike).  Often if they put it in play it results in a weak out.  While sitting in the dugout watch the pitcher, see if he tips the pitch off, what he throws first pitch to batters, what he throws when behind/ahead in the count.  Ask your pitcher and catcher how the blue is behind the plate and watch for yourself if low inside are being called strikes.  During the game your mind has to be focused, this isn't the time on the bench to be thinking of the weekend parties.  Every level you go up it gets much more difficult with teams/pitchers exploiting your weakness thus if you start early it will become easier.  Best of luck.