Skip to main content

Reply to "Is something wrong with my son? I feel like I'm missing something"

@adbono posted:

Recruiting for HS players has been getting more difficult every year since 2020. And the recruiting timeline has been getting a little later each of the past few years too. Texas, as you know, is full of good players and a lot of really good 2024s don’t have offers yet. But I have noticed that very few of them have adjusted their sights in light of all the events that have negatively impacted recruiting - the most obvious being the trifecta of extra years of eligibility, the transfer portal, and the reduction of the MLB draft to 20 rounds. All these things have had the combined effect of keeping players in college longer. Rosters are full of older guys that have enough experience that a kid straight of of HS rarely has a chance to take playing time away from them. My first comment is to forget about the metrics. Metrics alone don’t make any player a D1 guy. Coaches need to see your son play. Maybe he could guest play on another team that will put him on the field more often. My second comment would be to cast a wider net. If you aren’t looking for JuCo opportunities you should be. There is a JuCo showcase in Dallas on July 13 that I will be attending. If that doesn’t work for you look for other events on JuCo campuses. JuCo baseball in Texas is very good and is the best route for the majority of non HA players coming out of HS. Feel free to send me a PM if you want to talk specifics.

@PTWood posted:

My son got offers later than a lot of guys in his cohort. I do think your son is being impacted by the transfer portal and last year of COVID seniors. I also think he might be in that space where mid majors might not think he's interested.... What kind of support is his travel coach providing?

These two!

It sounds like your son is a bench player on a national-level team so he doesn't get to show his defensive skills all that often and the team is geared towards Top 25 recruiting...not a great setup for him. And maybe the two of you are giving off vibes of "Top 25 or bust" - ? Did you have a certain school in mind that you are holding out for, but it hasn't materialized and you're having trouble moving on? How many schools is he interested in and has he attended their camps?

I think you are doing the right thing by hiring an outside adviser. Hopefully he's told you to adjust your sights a bit, widen the scope, start considering mid-majors and Jucos. Guest playing on another team is a great idea.

Opportunity is opportunity. Take it and run with it, whenever it comes.

Last edited by SpeedDemon