Skip to main content

Reply to "Is something wrong with my son? I feel like I'm missing something"

@Giff posted:

I think that is the real problem "anotherparent", we're having communication issues with the travel coach. I generally like him, but we're in crunch time and need help. The agent we hired has actually been very responsive thus far. Maybe I'm just so used to failing to get a response that I'm just happy to get one-- it is nice to have him around....

Travel programs of this caliber typically have more than one coach/person of influence.  Has your son asked other coaches (assistants), trainers or coordinators in the program for feedback and direction?  Also, these programs want to see as many on their rosters get placed as possible.  Someone in the building should be able to shed some light that will explain why it seems those efforts aren't being made and/or communication isn't happening (I'm not suggesting those questions are to be asked that directly).

Is there a possibility that there are issues off the field (grades, legal, social, choice of major, etc.)?  Does he have difficulty communicating?

Something you said in another post has merit. He has to be careful about bouncing around travel teams or coming off as a malcontent.  It is likely that any interested school will want to contact his primary travel orgs to ask questions about him and it is important that he maintain a good relationship.  But it shouldn't be that difficult to respectfully ask what steps are being taken on his behalf and if there is more he should be doing on his part.  Other questions that should be asked, whether inwardly or outwardly - At this late hour, how frequently should he be checking in with whoever in the org is driving those efforts, etc.?  Is the HC definitely that person?

The agent you hired may provide some value but won't likely be the first choice for a college to reach out to when doing due diligence.

Best to you both!

Last edited by cabbagedad