Skip to main content

Reply to "Is something wrong with my son? I feel like I'm missing something"

Another in the camp of "Have Patience" (draft is this weekend so expected loses become real).  But I also think he should change teams, especially if the two catchers in front of him haven't been recruited yet, because they will continue to get significant time to show their skills first.  If they have been recruited, then the coaches should be shifting to show off your son at events, if not, there is something wrong with that program.   Catchers need to be seen playing, it's arguably the most important position on the field [other than The Pitcher, :-) ]   And the value of a catcher can't be read in metrics.  Being vocal, in command, a leader, always good body language, how his teammates respond to him, how his pitchers do... all these things need to be seen in game.  (and they all need to be seen when he's on the bench too).  I'm sure he is that kid, just needs to be able to show it in games.  All those things also make it why I think being recruited out of HS as a catcher when more mature players can be found, is a tough road now.

Don't be afraid to cast your net a little wider, you know your son can also take advantage of the portal a year or two from now to move from mid-major to top 50, if that's where he belongs.  Potentially saving you lots of money in the meantime.

PS.  Make sure any social media/ recruiting sites are up to date with recent data and photo's, etc.

Best of Luck