Reply to "I keep inquiring with you guys..........."

quote:
OLDSLUGGER8

Posted December 31, 2006 12:16 AM
Atkins takes over farm teams
Experience overseeing Latin American side deemed plus for job
By Sheldon Ocker
Beacon Journal sportswriter
As expected, the Indians promoted Ross Atkins to director of player development Monday.

He replaces John Farrell, who was hired as pitching coach for the Red Sox last week.

Even though Atkins has spent the past three years as the team's director of Latin American operations, he doesn't feel isolated from the Tribe's farm system.

``My knowledge is not nearly what it's going to be or as extensive as John Farrell's,'' Atkins said. ``But John always kept me in the loop, so it's a matter of refocusing.''

As director of player development, Atkins will oversee the Indians' six farm teams, as well as Latin American operations. He and assistant general manager Chris Antonetti will pick his successor.

Atkins will move his family from Miami and make a radical alteration in his work routine. As the Tribe's overseer of baseball academies in the Dominican Republic and Venezuela, Atkins customarily spent one week a month in the Dominican Republic and three days a month in Venezuela.

The Indians have concentrated their Latin American operations mostly in three countries, with the third being Panama. They also have a strong interest in Puerto Rico, but Puerto Rican players are included in the annual June draft and thus are not part of Atkins' area of responsibility.

General Manager Mark Shapiro said he considered five applicants for the player development position and interviewed two. Atkins' experience in Latin America was considered a plus.

``We needed someone with a strong ability to communicate with people of different backgrounds and cultures,'' Shapiro said. ``Ross has a good feel for the game and ability as an evaluator.''

Atkins, 33, was Farrell's assistant from 2001 to 2003. He graduated from Wake Forest and pitched from 1995 to 1999 in the Tribe's farm system.

Atkins doesn't anticipate making any immediate changes.

``I'm going to get through this transition period,'' he said, ``so I have no changes planned.''

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:BM-6-gB-cWcJ:www.oh...n&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7

***** Less than 10% of the HS kids drafted in 2003 were re-drafted in 2006!!

The spots are taken by whom? Many of these kids!! So these scouts truly track your son when he chooses college ball? No way unless he is Mr. STUD!! Lets talk about college ball versus the Minors again!! Shall we?

Less than 10% are re-drafted. What is kids ultimate goal. I keep asking, but get jibberish.

Here is my take................. Hey kids in SA, play ball 12 months year round, get real good while these other guys try to get a college dimploma, play ball, and make every effort to make both work out.

Ain't gonna happen very often!! Way back I asked about the FREAK, the Stanford noodlehead who gets both done, usually a pitcher because they are 1/5 players. He gotsa great grades, and can forego 4 tools as long as he can pitch.

What about the other 8 guys out there?? Hey kids..........you want to ascertain your college degree while these other guys are taking your spot?

I hope this ruffles feathers. Just a reminder there are more hills and mountains out there, and that 3 years of college guarantees absolutely NADA.

Not sure why I think this post will soon be erased. With that in mind, I copied it for others to consider.
Many times I have posted about the "business of baseball." What is coming for your son is different than anything he has ever experienced before. That is true whether he is drafted and signs, follows his NLI, or follows other options. I wish the very, very best for your son. If you like ruffling feathers, so be it.
IMO, there are a lot of very good parents and players who will be trying to make decisions similar to those you describe. Once you are out of high school, NADA is guaranteed, whether you are drafted and sign, drafted and don't sign, or aren't drafted and pursue your NLI.
Finally, before you assert that a "Stanford noodlehead" is a "FREAK," please introduce yourself to Brian Hall. He is 25, as versatile and fine a player/person as you can find, graduated with 2 degrees from Stanford, has overcome cancer, shoulder and wrist surgeries, and will room with my son in the next few weeks in pursuit of the same dream you desire for your son. No one has walked in Brian's shoes and your reference to players from Stanford and players who pursue a college degree as opposed to professional options is personally repulsive.
Last edited by infielddad