Skip to main content

Reply to "I keep inquiring with you guys..........."

Wow Eek.

I am answering for my good friend Justbaseball, who would have been ripped if he saw this. As you all know his son attends Stanford and has had a bumpy rode along the way (freak accident this summer at the cape). Unfortunetly, JBB's mom has taken a turn for the worse and is by her side with the family.
Justbaseball and I have lot in common. His son and mine where prospects in HS for the draft and together we shared lots of if's, what if's, what shall we do. We both decided to let our sons choose what they felt was best for them and they both made great choices. His was drafted mine was not, they are both playing at fine baseball schools and having the time of their lives. If they could would they go back and change things, NOPE, and we are happy for that. But all this was based on where they were going and what they were looking for. Both aspire to play pro ball, just like every other baseball player in the US. Some take different directions to get there, that's their choice, it's personal. And whatever happens three years later, oh well, it happens or it doesn't and that is just the way to look at it.
You should look carefully at a player at Stanford, Michael Taylor, who is NOT a pitcher. He was a huge prospect out of HS, 4.0+ out of HS and is a huge propspect now. So much for the noodle head Stanford kids who don't pitch. Kind of put your player side by side against Micheal Taylor, that's what's ahead. Or try the catcher from Georgia Tech, Matt Weiters, or the CF from Clemson, Brad Chalk, that's your son's competition this year as college position players, the list goes on and on. What in the H**L are you so hung up about? Unless your son has an option to be very early pick, stop analizing. You can't control this, that's for sure.

Do scouts follow HS prospects that do not decide to sign out of HS. You bet they do, and very closely. Verrrrrrrrry closely. In fact, some teams only prefer college players so their progress is important. Some don't. And do you have to be a stud out of HS? No way, just ask our 13th pick player this year, Tyler Colvin who was NOT by any means a stud out of HS. Just very much possessed lots of the tools needed to TRY to get to the next level and had a VERY good year.

Listen to infielddad, your son after HS, no matter which road he decides to follow has something coming you will have never experienced or your son, because as infielddad states, it is a BUSINESS. Stop trying to build a case why one should or shouldn't, blah, blah. The only one you should be concerned with is YOUR player.

I recently heard a story. A latin american player comes up Venezuela, plays one year in the minors and sees that he has no future and now has NOTHING. He took the chance to get into the US and a job if things don't work out. He has no college option. Just an example about those you speak of taking sopts.

Your post didn't ruffle my feathers (other than the Stanford remark) because you don't listen very well. You keep asking and we keep telling, there are NO guarantees. You obviously still harbor very angry feelings about your son's HS recruiting experience.

Be happy your son has an option, stop beating yourself up. Try to put all of the draft hoopla out of your mind, because if you continue, after you see what it is all about next June, you are most likely going to be one unhappy dad.

Infielddad,
You never have to apologize for anything you say. More parents should listen VERY carefully to those that have gone before us.
My best to you and your family.
Last edited by TPM