Skip to main content

Reply to "I'm so glad I had my son skip.."

Originally Posted by 4seamer:

He's not even close to the other kid's in strength or size. So no, his throws to second aren't on a rope, his hits to the outfield aren't as deep, and it takes him longer than everyone to get down the line. But that's my point - with 17 kids on the feeder team, and all of them several years older than him, he's always in the lineup game day (3-11 with 6 walks), he's catching the championship games now (to the horror of some of the parents), and yes, he's even thrown out a few runners (a rope that bounces 30' in front of bag and probably gets there in 2.6 or so). So for those questioning if he is going to really compete at that level, no, of course not. Clearly he's doing ok behind the dish but that's why I have him there - to have a chance to slow the game down a bit earlier in his career.

I'm happy that you are happy 4seamer.  If you start to feel unhappy about your son's performance or his ability to truly hang with the older players, or his lack of playing time; I would encourage you to take a step back a year or so until the puberty stick evens out a few things.